Monday, July 20, 2009

A Concerned Friend



I just received an email from a long time school friend. She's married with two lovely kids. At first glance I thought she was catching up with old friends.

But reading on her email, she was rallying other parents with school going children (or even including those whose children have yet to reach schooling age) to appeal to the government to reconsider the recent decision to abolish the teaching of Mathematics & Science in English. I am still single let alone having any children but I think she mass email everyone in her list :)

I haven't meet my friend for many many years and she surprised me with her "activitism". I have always remembered her as a cheeky, outgoing and down to earth girl during our schooling days. I guess motherhood has brought tremendous changes, for the better I believe.

Actually, I am aware of this hotly contested issue and there are two obvious opposing sides. One side belongs to those who oppose the teaching of Mathematics & Science in English and of course the other side support it.

I am not going express my support for either side because I believe both has their merits in their arguments.

Some would say the national or vernacular language proponents are chauvinist and backwards thinking in advocating the reversion to the previous medium of instruction. Others castigate the advocates for using English medium as selfish and unpatriotric.

Sadly, every time a new education policy is announced, it is always associated with political elements. Education is the right of any individual especially children. Of course they are too young to have a say and they depend on their parents to decide what is best for them. But this issue has been manipulated by other people with agenda bent on pursuing their self serving interests.

The teaching of Science & Mathematics in English has nothing to do with politics or nationalism. The intention is noble and worthy of a try. Generally, it would help enhance our young children standard of English which is already very poor and affecting young graduate job seekers. But on hindsight, how are rural children going to cope with these fairly difficult subjects in a language they have problems understanding in the first place.

Ultimately, I believe each person has a right to choose. Parents has a right to choose what they believe it's best for their children. If the teaching of Mathematics & Science in English is optional, that would be a quantum leap for our country education.

If you support the above, kindly click Parent Action Group for Education (PAGE). PAGE will forward feedback to the Education Ministry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin