Friday, April 17, 2009

Doggie Tale


Firstly, I have to admit I may not be a big fan of these furry animals. When I was a kid, my neighbour’s dog used to shit in my house garden. The stench was unbearable. Every time after school, I had to carefully watch my steps when going in to my house like minefields in Cambodia. Even with my experience, I had stepped on this dog shit numerous times.

I had tried locking the front gate but this dog was very good at jumping over the fence. So one day I decided to punish this “smart” dog. I had prepared a big stone and hid just behind my house door. I plan to ambush him just when he’s shitting (so that he won’t have enough time to react), run back in to the house and shut the door. A perfect plan.



As expected, the dog jumped in to my house garden in the afternoon and start looking for a nice spot to shit. I observed him secretly like a sniper. Just as he begun to shit, I push the door open, rushed out and flung the big stone at him at lightning speed.

I missed. OH SHIT!!

The dog sprinted towards my direction. I sprang up and ran the fastest time of my life. But I made a serious mistake, I wore slippers. My slippers slipped out of my foot and I tumbled.

YEEEOOOOOOWWWWW!!!! The whole kampong heard my screams that afternoon.


The damn dog bit my arse, leaving bite marks and some blood. My mom came out for rescue. In the nick of time, the dog jumped over the fence and ran back to my neighbour’s house. No evidence and no witness except for the dog shit.

Those memories made me think of Patch, a bulldog belonging to a good family friend of mine. Every Chinese New Year, I visit my friend and in the last 3 years, Patch joins our annual gathering.



Innocent looking Patch



Patch is extremely friendly but has a fetish for shoes, sandals or slippers. Every time I see him, he jumps on me excitedly and twists around between my legs like a tribal ritual. Next, he would grab my shoe in his jaw and runs off. If I attempt to take it back, he would clench the shoe more tightly with his jaw and make funny noises in protest. Although untrained, Patch would never chew off shoes. He just enjoys carrying them around to attract your attention. At times, he will pretend to let go of the shoe but sits close by, ready to grab it again if I try to retrieve it. Darn tricky dog.



Twisting around my legs

Snatching my sandals

Running away


Pretending to let go of my sandal


But I am smarter now. I just let him play with my shoe until he is tired. Until he is frustrated that my shoe no longer attract any attention. Then I take back the saliva-soaked shoe, go home and wipe it clean. The moral of the story is... (yes there is a lesson la)

1. Dog owners need to have a sense of responsibility for their pets.

2. Humans need to learn respect dogs' rights too.

Want to learn how to treat a dog better or adopt a new pet? You can find out more in Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better which is created by a doggie. Yes, it's a doggie's blog to help other doggies out there and champion for their welfare.

K-9 Power!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin